Workshop on Journal Writing, Publishing and Indexing
Writing an academic article and publishing it in a high quality journal is regarded as a daunting task for several researchers. Academics often face the problem that their papers are rejected due to the fact that they are not prepared for the task. Another important point that should be also raised is that students, mainly, doctoral students are familiar with dissertation writing, but they have no idea about how to write for publication.
Another important point that should be also stressed in this regard is that most of researchers in the Algerian context face problems in publishing in international journals due to the fact that their background knowledge in writing a research paper in English is poor in addition to their low language proficiency in English which makes it impossible.
Publishing a research paper is an integral part of academic research which underpins the research position of the writer. However, the issue of publishing in high quality journals with impact factors has triggered scholarly attention and the decision of policy makers, especially with the emergence of pirate journals which do not favour the quality of papers. As such, the Ministry of higher education has launched lists of indexed journals. The lists include journals in class A. These journals belong to Thomson Reuters or Scopus, while class B includes journals listed in De Gruyter. On the other hand, the Ministry also classifies some national journals in Class C. Although these lists can guide researchers, they are still lost in terms of which journal is of good scientific quality due to the fact that they are not trained on the issues of publishing and indexing.
As a matter of fact, the given workshop presented by Dr. Nadia GHOUNANE & Dr. Hanane RABAHI aims to introduce researchers to writing for publishing in general and writing academic papers in English in particular. It also endeavours to provide guidance for researchers, mainly in human and social science on how to write successful publishable academic research papers in English.
Therefore, the content of the workshop addresses the following angles:
- The main components of an article: language, content and structure
- The main R’s of pre-writing: reading, research and reflection
- Style in article writing
- Article writing from the introduction to the list of references focusing mostly on the introduction and the discussion of the findings
- Steps in article writing: article outline, first draft, proofreading, following the journal guidelines and submission for publication
- Writing a concise abstract with keywords,
- Designing tables and figures
- Cover letter of submission
- The process of publication
- Journal selection
- Planning for publication
- Publishing strategies
- Impact factor
- Articles writing process focusing mainly on the first readable parts including the abstract, introduction, discussion and conclusion
- The good construction of tables and figures
- Writing the cover letter of submission
- Responding and revising the paper according to the reviewers’ comments
- Choosing an appropriate journal for publication depending on its scope, acceptance rate, impact factor, indexing and accessibility.
- An effective interaction between the author, the reviewer and the editor during submission, revision and publication.
- Familiarity with protocols and ethics of scientific publication.
- Increasing publication rate
Language of the workshop
The workshop is presented in English
2 hours of intensive learning for two days
Successful papers and publishing in journal with impact factor
Day 1 (2 hours): Writing for publishing
- Writing something worth of publishing
- Outlining the research paper: determining the research problem (research gap), limiting the objectives and setting the hypotheses.
- Making the reader familiar with the work.
- Writing simple, clear and concise sentences and paragraphs through providing strategies to gain the readers’ familiarity with the work.
- Characteristics of good titles
- Writing effective abstract, introduction and conclusion
- Research design , structure of the paper and subheadings
- Effective tables and figures
Day 2 (2 hours): Publishing and indexing
- Scientific publishing culture
- Ethics and protocols of scientific publication
- Scientific journals and peer review
- Journal metrics: selecting the appropriate journal for publication (journal policy, content, standing, regularity, online availability)
- Submitting your paper
- The process of publishing
- Acceptance and pre-publication process
- Impact factor
- Indexing (Thomson Reuters & Scopus)
Summary of the workshop
- A summation of the key points of the workshop
- A feedback survey through a checklist